2019’s TOP 5 WATERPROOF MATTRESS PROTECTORS
When your child is ready to start a nighttime bedwetting treatment, you think wet sheets, smelly pajamas, stained mattresses and A LOT of laundry. There are many waterproof and disposable mattress protectors available, however, there are only a few that actually get the job done. When shopping for a mattress pad, you want the best.
Some things to look for when protecting your mattress against enuresis:
• High absorbency rate
• Does it cover the entire sleeping area and stay in place?
• Is it easy to wash and dry in one day and not lose its shape?
We have broken down the choices into the top 5 waterproof mattress protectors.
We recommend buying at least 2 covers so when you make the bed you can layer. You put the first pad on the bed followed by a fitted sheet, then another pad and a second fitted sheet. This will save you a great deal of trouble in the middle of the night. Simply pull off the top fitted sheet and mattress pad after a bedwetting accident and you’re done because there is already another layer underneath. For tips on how to clean your mattress after accidents try this.
Pair these waterproof mattress protectors with our top pick for bedwetting alarms, and you will be set up for success.
- XL design at 52” x 34”
- It has a slip-resistant surface to avoid bunching
- Four layers of protection and has a guaranteed absorbency for up to 300 washes
- 10 yr guarantee
- The material is very soft and not plastic, crunchy feeling like other pads
- Takes a long time to dry within one day for each night’s use. If you purchase this pad, we recommend buying two so you can alternate.
- The slip-grip doesn’t stick well to all mattress surfaces
- Doesn’t cover the entire surface of a twin bed
This mattress protector for enuresis is soft, thick and almost noiseless when slept on. With it being much larger than most pads, it stays in place a bit better and doesn’t bunch up. You can’t beat the quality at this price point.
- Surrounds and protects the mattress on all 6-sides against allergens, dust mites, bed bugs, bacteria, fluids, perspiration and urine (10-year warranty and machine washable)
- Premium cotton terry surface material with breathable hypoallergenic membrane backing keeps the mattress cool and noiseless
- Fits all sizes of beds
- The zipper starts partway down a long side, instead of being able to open one short end like a pillow case
- Not for a scenario where you need to change it often
- Still not completely waterproof
We found that this was a good base protector and needed to be changed every month or so. You will still need a stronger mattress pad on top of this, but having this base layer of extra protection is necessary. Even the best mattress pads tend to move and if any urine gets through, this base layer protects your mattress.
- Comes in XL large sizes to cover the entire bed
- Can hold up to 8 cups of liquid and be used for a quick cleanup for bedwetting or incontinence
- Cotton blend fabric quilted with a highly absorbent layer of soft fill offers breathable comfort that is quiet and dry
- Non-slip backing prevent shifting to protect sheets and mattress
- Some reviewers found it to soak right through. However, this did not happen in our testing.
- Still crumples and bunches in the night and with too much movement in the night.
We love this mattress pad because of the large size and thickness. In addition, if is soft to sleep on unlike some “plasticky” models. This is a great choice and in our opinion your best bang for you buck.
- Absorbs up to 8 cups of liquid and has a waterproof bottom layer for extra protection
- Extra soft material to protect the sensitive skin of children
- It comes in a large size to fit well on a twin or full mattress
- Shifts during the night and bunches up. There is nothing sticky to hold it in place.
- The pad tends to ripple and start to break down after several washings and loses the absorptions rate.
- Need to air dry these to protect against it slightly “melting” in the dryer.
Although this is one of the softer and more comfortable waterproof mattress protectors to sleep on, it still has a high tendency to shift and crumple up during the night for toss and turners. This is a great pad for a short-term need and at a price-point, you can’t beat.
- Comes in multiple sizes and styles including an option with tuck-in flaps and with handles
- Very absorbent even for animal urine which doesn’t always hold up with other pads
- Can be difficult to get the odor of urine out in the wash
- Sometimes shrinks up in the wash and results in a crinkly, clumpy shape
We found this pad to be too thin for our liking. When you are dealing with enuresis, you want maximum protection. And the lingering odor of urine was definitely a turn-off. Although, the flaps that tuck under the mattress are extremely helpful in keeping the pad in place on a smaller sized bed so it might be a good options for a short-term problem.